The Jewish Odyssey
Immerse yourself in Jewish history and culture, during this private tour of Lisbon’s Jewish community. Portugal was one of the first world powers to recognize the Jewish community. Therefore having served as an important home for the community ever since. Wander through Shaare Tikva, Lisbon’s synagogue, and learn about the history of various religions in the city.
65€ per person (minimum 2)
Free tour for children up to 3 years old;
50% off for children between 4 and 12 years old.
- Explore Lisbon through the lives of Portugal’s Jewish communities;
- Go to the Lisbon Synagogue (Shaare Tikva), Portugal’s 1st synagogue since the 15th century;
- Discover who they were and how they lived;
- Hear about the 1506 Massacre and how it started;
- Walk down the “Rua de Judiara” in Alfama, Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhood.
What to Expect
In this walking tour, learn the story of the Jewish community in Portugal (specially Lisbon). Therefore, visiting significant sites to the community in the Portuguese capital. Learn how communities appeared, disappeared, and reappeared, belonging everywhere and yet nowhere.
Discover how the Kingdom of Portugal in the 12th century recognized the Jewish community as a distinct legal entity, with its own jurisdiction. You’ll also stop by historic areas, important memorials, and landmarks’ of today’s Jewish community. For instance, the Shaare Tikva (Lisbon Synagogue). The first synagogue to be built in Portugal since the late 15th century.
Hear about the different Jewish communities that lived in Lisbon and throughout Portugal, since the Middle Ages. Also visit historic quarters, and see famous memorials. Immerse yourself in the rich history of the Jewish culture. Discover the important Jewish and Portuguese people who shaped history, saving thousands of souls over the centuries. The likes of Abraham Anahory and Aristides Sousa Mendes, the Portuguese consul who saved the lives of thousands of Jewish refugees.
Furthermore, explore the narrow streets of the Alfama quarter (Lisbon´s oldest neighbourhood), finding the Jewish history in it´s core. Finally, learn about today´s Lisbon. A city of tolerance and creativity. Also, explore the narrow streets of the Alfama quarter, one of Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhood. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to step back in time with this historical tour.
- Pick-up at a meeting point in Lisbon;
- Private guide for your group, who will accompany you inside the monuments and locations;
- Entrance fees to the synagogue.
What's Not Included
- Transportation or any other cost to the meeting point;
- Lunch and any other items not mentioned in the description.
Know Before You Go
- For booking to take place: we will need passport number and names from each participant that takes part on the tour, for security reasons to visit the synagogue;
- Hotel/Airbnb etc. clients must provide the following information at time of booking: hotel name and address;
- Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, disembarkation time and re-boarding time;
- The sequence of the mentioned places can be changed according to weather conditions.