The Jewish Odyssey
Immerse yourself in Jewish history and culture during this private tour of Lisbon’s Jewish community. Portugal was one of the first world powers to recognize the Jewish people and has served as an important home for the community ever since. Wander through Shaare Tikva, Lisbon’s synagogue, and learn about the history of various religions in the city.
You’ll also stop by historic areas, important memorials, and landmarks’ of today’s Jewish community. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to step back in time with this historical tour.
65€ per person (minimum 2)
Free tour for children up to 3 years old;
50% off for children between 4 and 12 years old.
- Explore Lisbon through the lives of Portugal’s Jewish communities;
- Go to the Lisbon Synagogue (Shaare Tikva), Portugal’s 1st synagogue since the 15th century;
- Discover who the “Marranos” were and how they lived;
- Hear about the 1506 Massacre and how it started;
- Walk down the “Rua de Judiara” in Alfama, Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhood.
What to Expect
Learn the story of the Jewish community in Portugal (specially Lisbon) on this tour, visiting significant sites to the community in the Portuguese capital. Since the Jewish exodus from Egypt, and the journey through lands, countries, and continents as the ultimate nomads, they reached what is nowadays Portugal. Learn how communities appeared, disappeared, and reappeared; belonging everywhere and yet nowhere.
Discover how the Kingdom of Portugal in the 12th century recognized the Jewish community as a distinct legal entity with its own jurisdiction. Visit sites of significance to Portuguese Christians and the Portuguese Jewish communities., including the Shaare Tikva (Lisbon Synagogue), the 1st synagogue to be built in Portugal since the late 15th century.
Learn about the different Jewish communities that lived in Lisbon and throughout Portugal since the Middle Ages. Visit historic quarters, and see famous memorials. Immerse yourself in the rich history of the Jewish culture. Hear about important Jewish and Portuguese people who shaped history and saved thousands of souls over the centuries, such as Abraham Anahory and Aristides Sousa Mendes, the Portuguese consul who saved the lives of thousands of Jewish refugees.
Finally, hear about Lisbon of today, as a city of tolerance and creativity, and explore the narrow streets of the Alfama quarter, one of Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhood.
- Pick-up and drop off at a hotel or cruise port in Lisbon;
- Transportation by air-conditioned car or van;
- Entrance fees;
- Private guide;
- Bottled water.
What's Not Included
Lunch and any other items not mentioned in the description.
Know Before You Go
- For booking to take place: we will need passport number and names from each participant that takes part on the tour, for security reasons to visit the synagogue;
- At time of booking, hotel/Airbnb etc. clients must provide the following information at time of booking: hotel name and address;
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, disembarkation time and re-boarding time;
- The sequence of the mentioned places can be changed according to weather conditions.