In this private 3 to 4 hour Lisbon food tour, experience the best traditional Portuguese dishes, learn it´s history, also why they became icons of our gastronomy. You will understand how this simple traditional Mediterranean cuisine was influenced, and influenced cultures all over the world.
80€ per person (minimum 2)
Free tour for children up to 3 years old;
50% off for children between 4 and 12 years old.
3 to 4 hours
- Explore one of the lesser-known neighbourhoods of Lisbon
- Taste traditional Portuguese dishes, from entrees, to main dishes and ending in deserts
- Learn the curious flavours, traditions and history of each dish
- Explore a fully restored market place, that set a the trend for the “new markets era” of Lisbon
- It´s not a sightseeing walking tour, it´s more a savouring and eating tour
- Get suggestions and secrets, for the rest of your stay in Lisbon
What to Expect
The tour will be in one of the “more recent” traditional neighbourhoods of Lisbon, Campo de Ourique. Away from the usual mass tourism neighbourhoods, you will spend your time here with a guide that actually lives in the neighbourhood and knows it by heart. This tour is intended to be a foodie tour, for you to taste typical Portuguese cuisine.
Throughout the tour, your guide will link the Portuguese culture/history with its cuisine, and explain the origin of these traditional dishes.
Over the course of 3 to 4 hours, you will sample typical dishes of Portuguese cuisine: You will start to tantalize your taste buds with the most typical entrees like Carapaus Fritos (Fried Mackerels), Chouriço Assado (Roasted Chorizo), Peixinhos da Horta (Vegetable Fish), and Ovos Mexidos com Farinheira (scrambled eggs with a special sausage made of flour and spices). You will taste these, in a more “simple” local restaurant.
From here, you will go to the local, completely refurbished market place, where you will have your more “refined” experiences. Among others, you will taste the typical Porco Preto (Iberian Black Pork), the Bife de Atum (grilled Tuna Steak), Sandes de Leitão (suckling pig sandwich) and others.
To wrap things up, you will have the Best Chocolate Cake of the World (it actually won the international contest), the Pastel de Nata in a bakery that was elected for several years as being the best of Portugal, taste some very unique roasted almonds, ending all with a Ginjinha (cherry liqueur), that won the international 2016 “Great Taste” Award.
Don´t expect “sightseeing” of Lisbon. This is a tour designed for foodies to learn and taste a small part of the Portuguese gastronomy. Your guide will be able to give you all the information you need for your stay in Lisbon, places to go, to visit and to eat.
It´s a good idea to make this one of your first tours for your stay in Lisbon.
- 3 to 4 hour guided food tour in a calm Lisbon neighbourhood
- A local guide that has a passion for food, history and culture
- Tasting of traditional Portuguese dishes and deserts
- 5 tasting stops
- 14 tastings samples in total (entrees, main dishes, deserts)
What's Not Included
- Transportation & Pick-up;
- Drinks (alcoholic or none alcoholic);
- Any other items not mentioned in the description.
Know Before You Go
- If you have any dietary restriction (Kosher, Halal, Vegetarian, etc.), there will be a few dishes that you will not be able to taste.
- Please advise if you have any type of allergies! This is very important so we can know what you will be able to taste or not.